Friday, November 26, 2010

El Ombú estancia in San Antonio de Areco


I have not posted in a while. My grandfather passed away while we were on vacation:( We tried to get flights home, but the soonest we could get home was Thursday afternoon and the funeral was Thursday morning. Let's just say we needed to get away somewhere to relax and reflect. We packed our bags and headed out with some good friends to an estancia two hours outside of the city. An estancia is a real working farm with available rooms for you to stay in and enjoy lots of good food.


View of the lunch feast tables and horses

 
We were not sure what to expect. Let's just say my expectations were more than exceeded. After a two hour bus ride, we landed in what I perceived to be the closest thing to heaven. We were greeted and shown to our ADORABLE rooms. From there it only got better. I love food. All of our trips and vacations revolve around food. This was the place to be! For lunch, aka the feast, there were tables set up on the lawn of the old mansion that overlooked the farm. All of the tables had bottles of wine, salads, empanadas, and fresh bread to greet us. I had to give applause where they were due.... although I may have embarrassed my family with all of the squealing and hand clapping. Next came, hot off the asado (grill/smoker), chicken,steak, sausage, and ribs with such flavor that my mouth is watering just typing this. Did I mention dessert?


One of the many puppies on the estancia
Where my heaven has lots of food, my girls' heaven has lots of doggies. There were dogs everywhere. Those dogs probably never had so much attention in their lives. My girls were all over them. They ran and played and had a ball.

After a long nap, we took a carriage ride around the property. We had tea and alfajores (cookies with caramel in the middle) followed by a beer in honor of my Papaw. The day was just magical.

If you are traveling in Argentina with children, an estancia is definitely worth checking out.  El Ombú estancia in San Antonio de Areco gets my two thumbs up.





2 comments:

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

Don't you just know your grandpa had a hand in making sure your stay at the estancia was magical.

I'm telling you from someone who knows what you're going through, since you were so close to your Papaw, he's spirit will be there for you always!

I feel my Papa with me ALL THE TIME! Sometimes, I feel like we are even closer now that he's passed because he's always around.

You'll see!!

Mommy said...

Ahhh.... that actually comforts me to think that. It is such a horrible feeling to not be able to pick up the phone or share good news because he is not there. :(